If your family, or a family you know, is in need of decent, affordable housing, Habitat for Humanity of Rhode Island - Greater Providence will explain the application process and provide information on the availability, size and cost of Habitat homes in your area. Family Selection Briefings are held when we have funding to begin construction.
Each Habitat affiliate selects “partner families” to become Habitat homeowners. Habitat for Humanity follows a nondiscriminatory policy of family selection. Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing partner families. Partner families are always selected based on their level of need, ability to pay and willingness to partner.
Applicants are required to meet several qualifications to ensure success. In general, prospective homeowners must:
- Be citizens or legal residents.
- Prove steady income.
- Have good credit.
- Earn a monthly income that falls within minimum and maximum limits, depending on household size.
- Sustain a savings account over a specified period of time.
In addition, each partner family will be required to:
- Invest sweat-equity hours in building his/her home and others.
- Make an affordable down payment.
- Pay for homeowners insurance at the time of closing
- Make timely mortgage payments.
- Attend homeowner education classes.
We are pledged to the
letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing
opportunity throughout the nation. We encourage and support an affirmative
advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining
housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or